America Deserves Better
From Nobel Prize winners Ahmed Zewail and Shirin Ebadi to NFL stars Hamza and Husain Abdullah to academics Dr. Cornel West and Dr. John Esposito, MPAC’s annual convention always brings together the nation’s top personalities for a day of thought-provoking discussion and debate about major issues facing America and the American Muslim community.
This year’s convention titled, “America Deserves Better” will be held at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday, December 13. This convention will help orient us towards better policies, better understanding of current issues and better ways of engaging our communities. America needs us! She needs her Muslim community to take a leadership role in these challenging times.
The convention is a day of thought-provoking discussion and debate about major issues facing America and the American Muslim community. We bring together policymakers, academics, authors, and community leaders for candid conversations about the defining issues shaping the reality and perception of Islam and American Muslims.
This is a chance to interact with great minds and to exchange ideas that will shape the future of our nation and community for the better. The event has regularly aired on C-SPAN, and has been featured in the New York Times, Associated Press and Los Angeles Times.
Sessions & Speakers
The following sessions and speakers have been confirmed with more to follow. Keep up to date with new speakers and details by following our convention hashtag #MPAC14.
Let’s Be Honest: Tackling Taboos in the American Muslim Community
- Rami Nashashibi, Executive Director of Inner-City Muslim Action Network
- Marwa Aly, Producer of "unMosqued" Documentary
- Jihad Saafir, Imam of Masjid Ibaadillah in Los Angeles
- Hind Makki, Founder of Side Entrance blog
Collaboration or Cancellation: Shaping the Image of Islam and Muslims in Hollywood
- Petter Sattler, Director of "Camp X-Ray"
- Ahmos Hassan, Chairman of the MPAC Hollywood Bureau
- Zahra Billoo, Executive Director of CAIR-SFBA
ISIS: Result of Failed Policies or Perverted Ideologies?
- Zaher Shaloul, President of Syrian American Medical Society
- Imam Moustafa Al-Qazwini, Islamic Educational Center of Orange County
- Dr. Juan Cole, Professor and Founder of Informed Comment blog
Banquet Keynote Speaker
What makes MPAC unique?
MPAC’s reason for being is to improve public understanding and public policies that impact American Muslims by engaging our government, media and communities.
Our policy work focuses on reforming national security, promoting civil liberties, and advancing international human rights and religious freedom. Our Hollywood Bureau provides authentic and humanizing portrayals of Islam and Muslims on film and television.
If you haven't been to one yet, take a look at some videos and pictures from last year's Convention.
- Pictures from 2013 Convention on Flickr
- Audience pictures from 2013 Convention on Facebook
- Watch the full video of the banquet on YouTube
Get to know MPAC. Watch this video.
IN THIS SECTION
Save the Date: MPAC's 14th Annual Convention
September 5, 2014
December 14, 2013
December 17, 2011
2012 Convention Videos
January 7, 2013
MPAC Convention Promotional Video
December 6, 2010
Salam Al- Marayati Talking About the MPAC Convention
November 5, 2009
8th. Annual MPAC Convention
December 3, 2008
one-time or monthly donation.
Or become a member.